The South Shore Waldorf School is seeking a part-time early childhood preschool/kindergarten assistant. The ideal candidate has Waldorf Early Childhood experience or training and possesses a real love and joy in working with young children.
The Kindergarten Assistant works under the direction of the Lead Teacher in a collaborative fashion with the potential of growth and the possibility of becoming a lead teacher one day as the school grows. We are looking for someone who is hard-working, has a positive attitude, excellent communication skills, works with purpose and joy, and is looking to grow with our school and community.
We currently have two Kindergarten classrooms, and the Kindergarten assistant helps out with both classes. The Assistant can be present at parent-teacher meetings and is encouraged to attend all Parent Evenings. They will attend weekly faculty meetings and at least one meeting with the Lead Kindergarten Teacher a month. The Assistant should also be prepared to take the lead position if either the Lead Teacher or the Class Teacher is unable to.
We work daily with the children on the joy of domestic and practical work, maintaining a large garden where we grow vegetables and herbs. We have a kitchen where we cook organic lunches and snacks daily for all the children. This is combined with caring for our classroom and our outdoor space, along with painting, sewing, puppet shows, and seasonal crafts and celebrations. We spend a large part of our day outdoors and in the kitchen so our ideal candidate would be comfortable spending several hours per day outdoors in all weather and enjoy cooking and being in the kitchen.
A background that includes completion of, or current enrollment in. a Waldorf Teacher Training program in Early Childhood, is preferred. There is the possibility of attending Foundation Studies through the ECISA offered at the school. Candidates who do not currently hold any Waldorf Training will be required to pursue acquiring Waldorf ECE training with support, guidance, and mentorship from the school.
- Working with children ages 3-6 under the direction of a lead teacher.
- Care for the physical and emotional well-being of the children and their families
- Work with individual children who need guidance
- Foster positive relationships with their colleagues, the children, and families
- Know and implement discipline policy set in All School and Early Childhood Parent Handbook
- Be aware of the creative play of children, redirect and inspire them as necessary
- Participate in domestic activities joyously
- Care for the physical environment including maintaining a beautiful classroom that is clean and orderly
- Enjoy and interact with the outdoors in all weather conditions including frequent hikes
- Maintain needed paperwork, including daily sign-in sheets
- Hold the order and rhythm of the class in lead teachers absence
Hold a current Child First Aid and CPR card
Submit a completed Vulnerable Sector check from the RCMP.
Submit a completed Child Abuse Registry check from Social Services.
Be eligible to work in Nova Scotia. If not already a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident, candidates must hold a valid work permit.
Job and Application Details:
This position is a seasonal position with 20-35 hours per week.
Start date: September 2021
Interest applicants should send a resume, (3) professional references, copies of relevant certificates, and a letter of intent to: email@example.com