Kindergarten Heart Bread filled with love from me to you
2 cups spelt or whole-wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup water (sometimes less depending on the flour. I use spelt in the kindergarten but I used to use whole wheat.)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a cookie pan.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it is pea-sized.
- Add water to the flour mixture and stir just until all the ingredients are moistened and the dough has come together similar to cookie dough. Do it slowly some days I don’t use much water other days more. Kneed until the dough has a smooth surface. Lightly oil or butter the pan like you would for cookies, or use parchment paper.
- Place the dough onto the prepared pan, with a rolling pin roll it out to be about 2 “ thick. Then with your hands shape the edges to form a heart shape. With a butter knife I press (draw) into the centre of the big dough heart a smaller heart about 4 inches wide. The children and I then use a fork and prick the dough raying out from the small centre heart (like the sun’s rays) . 1 inch spaces between the rays so later when the bread is done you can break off sections between the fork pricks.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack in the pan for 10 minutes. Then remove the bread from the pan and serve in wedges. We usually leave the heart in the centre to be eaten later or last. We never cut into the middle heart until we have finished everything else.
Miss Moni’s Muffins
2 cups Spelt flour or Whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking flour
¼ cp. Organic sugar or 2 ripe bananas or ½ cup apple sauce
1 egg /or 2 tsp. Ground flax seed soaked in water
I squeezed orange
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup water
2 tbsp. Melted butter / or coconut oil or other mild tasting oil
Mix wet ingredients together in medium size bowl
Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, stir gently just making ingredients wet
Pour into greased muffin tins
Bake for 20 minutes in preheated oven at 350 degrees celsius
Kindergarten Bread Recipe
Heat 2 cps water to boiling
Put in big bowl
Add 2 large tsp honey,
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp. oil Stir till dissolved.
Add cold water until hand hot (blood temp)
Sprinkle 2 tsp. yeast over water, cover with a towel and leave until bubbled up. Usually 10 minutes
Add equal amounts of white and whole wheat flour. (I use whole spelt in the kindergarten)
Stir about 2 cups at a time into the batter until it is not too sticky to knead.
Knead a bit in a bowl until all in one lump. Divide into loaf sized lumps.
Knead on board with extra flour if necessary (don’t let it get too dry)
Oil baking pan
Place loaves on pan. Cover with cloth for 1/2 hour to let rise. put bread in a preheated oven 350 degrees F.
Bake for 35 – 45 Minutes